[ COVER OF THE WEEK ]
Human resource Source
[ AnalyticsWeek BYTES]
[ NEWS BYTES]
[ FEATURED COURSE]
[ FEATURED READ]
Antifragile is a standalone book in Nassim Nicholas Talebs landmark Incerto series, an investigation of opacity, luck, uncertainty, probability, human error, risk, and decision-making in a world we dont understand. The… more
[ TIPS & TRICKS OF THE WEEK]
Strong business case could save your project
Like anything in corporate culture, the project is oftentimes about the business, not the technology. With data analysis, the same type of thinking goes. It’s not always about the technicality but about the business implications. Data science project success criteria should include project management success criteria as well. This will ensure smooth adoption, easy buy-ins, room for wins and co-operating stakeholders. So, a good data scientist should also possess some qualities of a good project manager.
[ DATA SCIENCE Q&A]
Q:What is better: good data or good models? And how do you define ‘good? Is there a universal good model? Are there any models that are definitely not so good?
A: * Good data is definitely more important than good models
* If quality of the data wasnt of importance, organizations wouldnt spend so much time cleaning and preprocessing it!
* Even for scientific purpose: good data (reflected by the design of experiments) is very important
How do you define good?
– good data: data relevant regarding the project/task to be handled
– good model: model relevant regarding the project/task
– good model: a model that generalizes on external data sets
Is there a universal good model?
– No, otherwise there wouldnt be the overfitting problem!
– Algorithm can be universal but not the model
– Model built on a specific data set in a specific organization could be ineffective in other data set of the same organization
– Models have to be updated on a somewhat regular basis
Are there any models that are definitely not so good?
– ‘all models are wrong but some are useful George E.P. Box
– It depends on what you want: predictive models or explanatory power
– If both are bad: bad model
[ VIDEO OF THE WEEK]
Subscribe to Youtube
[ QUOTE OF THE WEEK]
In God we trust. All others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
[ PODCAST OF THE WEEK]
[ FACT OF THE WEEK]
Three-quarters of decision-makers (76 per cent) surveyed anticipate significant impacts in the domain of storage systems as a result of the Big Data phenomenon.